[pylucene-dev] Re: lucene.JavaError: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

fredrik kant fredrik.kant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:08:53 PST 2008

Hi!
F.Y.I
-------
I also got memory problems running my indexing process indexing a
transaction log were each transaction is an own document(="many documents").
I run this on a MS Server 32-bit and I used the compiled JCC version.
The process index each transaction log (at most 500000 documents) and closes
the writers after each file is processed.
When I monitored this process it never reached above 1G.
Some of the problems was gone increasing the max heap size but I still think
there is some kind of GC problem here.
I have not tested the suggested solutions in this conversation but I will.
I am not using any filter.
At the moment I get memory problem after a couple of hours (I am able to
index about 4-6 transactions log files per hour) so it is a bit disturbing.
One workaround would just to index one file and then end the process and
start it again and again... but I prefer not to use such workaround.
/Fredrik Kant

2008/1/9, Andi Vajda <vajda at osafoundation.org>:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Andi Vajda wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Brian Merrell wrote:
> >
> >> The thousands of _dumpRef() values/counts are almost all 1.  I could
> create
> >> a histogram if it would be helpful.
> >> For comparison I took my filter out and noted that the references
> >> (len(myvm._dumpRef()) are quite stable (pretty constant around 250).
> >
> > Makes sense. It does more and more look like a leak in the generated
> > extension code. More on this in the next day or two.
>
> Thanks, no need for a histogram.
>
> Andi..

Fredrik Kant

Kant Consulting AB