[pylucene-dev] FreeBSD OutOfMemoryError

Ninneman, TJ tj at twopeasinabucket.com
Fri Apr 13 08:21:15 PDT 2007

Hey everybody,

I using PyLucene 2.1.0 build from ports using gcc/gcj 4.1.3 on FreeBSD 6.2
x86.  90% of PyLucene works wonderfully but there is at least 2 or 3
showstoppers that I have found.  When running the following examples, I get
java.lang.OutOfMemoryErrors:

1. SortingExample.py
2. HitCollectorTest.py

The following throws up a java.lang.NullPointerException:

    1.  ScoreTest.py

And there may be more of them.  In my own applications, I get the
OutOfMemory errors when I try to utilize (instantiation does succeed, just
can¹t use them) a SimpleFragmentor instance or a Sort instance.  The Sort
instance is the real showstopper for me as my application demands it.  I¹ve
tried my applications on both Windows and Ubuntu Linux using the
pre-compiled binaries and have had no problems.  We have a dedicated search
server since part of our app is live and we are a FreeBSD shop, switching to
Linux would be a real pain at this point.  I know, I know...should have run
Œmake test¹.  :(

If anybody has any tips or suggestions I would be immensely grateful.  I¹ll
even put out a bounty of beer!

Thanks!

TJ Ninneman