[pylucene-dev] Fatal error in gc Too many root sets -- need dat special GCJ build fo WINDOWS!!

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Fri Oct 13 10:05:54 PDT 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, John Kleven wrote:

> Fellow pylucene friends --
>
> I'm getting this godforsaken error msg in a popup
> window while doing some heavy duty indexing on winXP.
>
> "Fatal error in gc"
> "Too many root sets"
>
> And I want to die.
>
> So after reading that GCJ on top of mingw is not so
> easy to build for win32 to here:
> http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/pylucene-dev/2005-September/000712.html
> http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/pylucene-dev/2005-September/000713.html
>
> And seeing on the pylucene homepage that OS X Pylucene
> binaries get a special GCJ build (LARGE_CONFIG) ...
> i'm wondering if anybody has got a beautiful beautiful
> PyLucene windows build w/ the LARGE_CONFIG patch to
> GCJ???  Need some LARGE CONFIG!!

Here is a gcj 3.4.6 build built with LARGE_CONFIG that you can use to build a
LARGE_CONFIG PyLucene:
http://downloads.osafoundation.org/compilers/windows/mingw-5.0-3.4.6.tar.bz2

> Is there any truth to this post:
> http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/pylucene-dev/2005-February/000542.html

No, these root sets are a bug of libgcj which insists on scanning the static
variables of *all* shared libraries in the process, not just the one using it.
If you lots of shared libraries in your process, it's pretty easy to hit this.

This has been identified as a bug by the gcj developers and is either fixed or
in the process of being fixed on the latest gcj 4.2.x. Don't ask when there is
going to be a viable gcj 4.2.x for windows, that seems very far off since
no-one is actively working on it.