[pylucene-dev] Re: PyLucence Debian Package

Matthew O'Connor matthew at canonical.org
Sun Feb 5 09:54:48 PST 2006

Jeff Breidenbach [breidenbach at gmail.com] said:

> Matthew, I just built your package on sarge, it went fine.
> Good job.
>    python2.4-pylucene_1.9-1_i386.deb
> I noticed you chose not to have a README.Debian file. That's probably
> ok, since most of the weirdness affects package maintainers and not
> package users. On the other hand, you might want to create one and
> include a link to this conversation (bug 256283) in case the end user
> is wondering why the heck it isn't included in Debian proper. Your
> call.

Thank you!  I will add a README.Debian, it's a good
suggestion.  I have access to Debian amd64 and PowerPC
architectures.  If building for them is identical to
building for i386 then I can make those available as well.

> Andi, how about distributing the binary package (.deb) from the
> PyLucene website while things are shaking out? Or perhaps Matthew
> can distribute from canonical.org, and have a link from the PyLucene
> homepage? This can be done immediately, allows Debian sarge users
> to try out the package and provide feedback, and will make a few people's
> lives a little easier. I can't think of any disadvantages.

This sounds like a good idea to me.  I can rebuild the
package for i386, with the README.Debian,  and make it
available later today.

Jeff and Andi, thanks for your time on this so far.  Your
help is appreciated!