[pylucene-dev] Index rewriting trouble

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Fri Apr 14 16:27:20 PDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Bill Janssen wrote:

>> You're not missing anything, libgcj is.
>> It looks like the regex API methods are all implemented as throwing
>> NotImplementedError in libgcj for gcj 3.x.
>
> It's not in gcj 3.4, but it was checked into the gcj project over two
> years ago.  Is the gcj project dead?  The last news on its home page
> is over a year old.

libgcj, the gcj java runtime, is based on the GNU classpath project which is
anything but dead (see http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath).

I checked the gcj 4.1.0 sources and the regex code with actual implementations
is in there. Building PyLucene with gcj 4.1.0 is possible on Mac OS X by using
darwinports to obtain gcj 4.1.0, and on Linux with a patch (see
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2006-03/msg00190.html).
As for Windows, well, I don't know of a functional gcj 4.x version, it seems
to need a bunch of work...