[pylucene-dev] Fwd: RE: GC Warning: Header allocation failed: Dropping block.

Yura Smolsky info at altervision.biz
Thu Feb 17 10:51:00 PST 2005

Hello, Andi.

>> In general, for a large Java heap, you are better off running
>> a recent gcj.  And ideally the collector should be built with
>> -DLARGE_CONFIG, which I don't think it is by default.

AV> I imagine you are running a recent gcj already since you solved the 4gb file
AV> limit, aren't you ? To build a gcj with LARGE_CONFIG, see PyLucene/INSTALL.

Well, well, well... Here are latest news about this bug :)

1. I have ported (see attach) my example with threads to Java... and it works! on 50Gb

So, it seems like pure Java works fine.

2. Also I have tried to run PyLucene source with environment
GC_PRINT_STATS=1 as Boehm, Hans has suggested.
I received following log of messages (gc.log). Please, check it. Maybe
it will give you ideas...

3. Also I have tried 'export GC_FIND_LEAK=1'. Program shown some
messages. I hope this will give us ideas.

Leaked composite object at start: 0x82f69d0, appr. length: 16
Leaked composite object at start: 0x82f6d60, appr. length: 16
Leaked atomic object at start: 0x82f5f50, appr. length: 112
Leaked composite object at start: 0x82f4fb0, appr. length: 16
Leaked composite object at start: 0x82f4fc0, appr. length: 16
Leaked composite object at start: 0x82f4ff0, appr. length: 16
Leaked atomic object at start: 0x82f1500, appr. length: 80
Leaked composite object at start: 0x82c12d0, appr. length: 80
Leaked atomic object at start: 0x8293fa8, appr. length: 8
Leaked atomic object at start: 0x8293fd8, appr. length: 8
Leaked composite object at start: 0x826c930, appr. length: 24
Leaked composite object at start: 0x82462d0, appr. length: 24

Yura Smolsky.