[pylucene-dev] Best ways to avoid stomping on existing indexes?

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Fri Feb 11 10:06:23 PST 2005

>> The JavaDoc for FSDirectory.getDirectory() is pretty clear about this:
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/store/FSDirectory.html#getDirectory(java.lang.String,%20boolean)
>>
>> The files, if they exist, get erased, when create is True.
>
> Right, I understood that.  I was asking about strategies for managing this,
> given that the same code that would create the table, if run a second time,
> will wipe out the old index without any warning.
>
> If it isn't clear already, I have very little experience with Java.  I'm a
> Python fish in a sea of Java coders, however... ;-)

I think that the lucene-user mailing list is a very good source of information
about strategies for using the Lucene APIs. Given that the PyLucene APIs match
the Java Lucene APIs almost 1-1 any advice you can get there is likely not to
be too java-specific and to apply to PyLucene usage as well.

     http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html#Lucene