[pyicu-dev] towards release 1.0

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Mon Mar 29 09:48:15 PDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 3:49, F Wolff <friedel at translate.org.za> wrote:

> Op So, 2010-03-28 om 23:04 -0700 skryf Andi Vajda:
>> The list of changes since version 0.9 was released in January reads:
>>
>>  - added support for UnicodeSet, UnicodeFunctor, UnicodeFilter,
>> UnicodeMatcher
>>  - added support for RegexPattern and RegexMatcher
>>  - added support for Normalizer
>>  - added support for UTransPosition (Christoph Burgmer)
>>  - added support for UTransPosition and UnicodeFilter methods to
>> Transliterator
>>  - fixed bug in UnicodeString single character assignment method
>>  - added support for extending Transliterator from Python
>> (Christoph Burgmer)
>>  - improved support for in-place operations on UnicodeStrings
>>  - added support for Transliterator::registerInstance (Christoph
>> Burgmer)
>>  - added support for ICU 4.4
>>  - added support for Normalizer2, FilteredNormalizer2 if ICU
>> version >= 4.4
>>  - added support for SelectFormat if ICU version >= 4.4
>>  - added support for TimeUnitFormat if ICU version >= 4.2
>>  - added support for PluralRules and PluralFormat if ICU version >=
>> 4.0
>>  - added support for DateInterval, DateIntervalFormat if ICU
>> version >= 4.0
>>  - added support for CurrencyPluralInfo if ICU version >= 4.2
>>  - added support for UnicodeSetIterator
>>  - added support for SearchIterator and StringSearch
>>  - added some missing Collator and RuleBasedCollator methods
>>
>> Are there any ICU wrappers still missing from PyICU preventing a 1.0
>> release (besides LayoutEngine et al.) ?
>>
>> I would like a 1.0 release to not have any glaring omissions. ICU
>> is a large
>> library and I've only used small amounts of it myself. I don't have
>> enough
>> perspective to decide what is important or not on my own. Are there
>> any
>> pieces, important to readers of this list, PyICU users, that are not
>> supported by PyICU yet ?
>>
>> Also, for a 1.0 release, I'd like to have many more unit tests,
>> ideally
>> testing each and every one of the wrapped APIs. This is a daunting
>> task, to
>> say the least. Any contribution would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Another good way to test the PyICU bindings is to port the ICU C++
>> samples
>> to Python. Again, any help in porting these would be welcome. I
>> started by
>> porting the break.cpp sample and found bugs with UnicodeString-
>> converted
>> text parameters in iterator setters (which are now fixed).
>>
>> Andi..
>
> Hi Andi
>
> Congratulations on all the progress!
>
> I quickly tried to build from trunk, but it seems that my ICU version
> (4.0) is not supported.

How so ? What error did you get ?
The intent is to conditionally enable all features that appeared in
ICU >= 4.0.
Maybe some conditionals are missing.

>  I also couldn't find a quick overview of the
> complete API, so I'm just wondering if the text boundary analysis is
> wrapped.
> I'm specifically interested in word and sentence boundary
> iteration.

That's implemented by BreakIterator and RuleBasedBreakIterator. Both
are supported.

> I am interested in using these soon, along with regular expressions.
>
> As soon as things build here, I can hopefully contribute with tests to
> the parts that I will use.
>
> What is your current ideas for a timeline for the 1.0 release?

No timeline in mind at the moment. I'd like 1.0 to be complete before
being released as such.

Cheers

Andi..