[ietf-calsify] EXRULE Question

Adrian Crum adrian.crum at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 12:41:44 PST 2008

While browsing the internet I ran across the notes from 2006 regarding deprecating or removing EXRULE and EXDATE from RFC 2445. The comments made at the time indicated that no one was using it.

I'm curious - without those properties, how would one express a Monday through Friday at 8:00 AM event, except on US federal holidays?

I created an example iCalendar based on the original RFC:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:-//Apache Open For Business//Work Effort Calendar//EN
VERSION:2.0
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20081112T180905Z
CREATED:20081111T231419Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20081111T232507Z
X-ORG-OFBIZ-WORKEFFORT-ID:10020
SUMMARY:Work Schedule
ORGANIZER;CN=THE ADMINISTRATOR:
DTSTART:20080101T000043
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;BYDAY=MO,TU,WE,TH,FR;BYHOUR=8
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=1;BYDAY=3MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=1;BYMONTHDAY=1
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=2;BYDAY=3MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=5;BYDAY=-1MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=7;BYMONTHDAY=4
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=9;BYDAY=1MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=10;BYDAY=2MO
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=11;BYMONTHDAY=11
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=11;BYDAY=4TH
EXRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;BYMONTH=12;BYMONTHDAY=25
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

I can't find any mention of an alternative to using the EXRULE property, so where would one go from here?

-Adrian