[Ietf-calsify] embedding the iCalendar URI (a late proposal related to 2445bis)

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Fri Aug 22 01:11:44 PDT 2008

Hi,

I've got a quick question about the iCalendar format, or actually an idea.

If I serve an iCalendar resource through HTTP, what I really want is to
allow the client not only to read it (display it in a calendar
application), but also to *subscribe* to it, for which I obviously need
the URI.

Apple, years ago, "solved" this (and potentially some other use cases)
with their custom "webcal" URI scheme. (I note that this URI scheme
hasn't been registered with IANA.)

The Atom WG was smarter, by allowing the format to carry a "self" URI,
for subscription (see
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc4287.html#rfc.section.4.2.7.2>).

Bernard already pointed me to the URL property
(<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2445#section-4.8.4.6>), but what I'm
looking for is a Calendar property, not a Component property (I think).

Is something like that possible in iCalendar? If not, could/should it be
added? (Separate document?)

BR, Julian