[Ietf-calsify] Should we bring back the RANGE parameter?

Bernard Desruisseaux bernard.desruisseaux at oracle.com
Wed Jul 4 08:46:33 PDT 2007

Cyrus,

At the last Jabber session you said you were tempted to bring back the
RANGE parameter to allow an Organizer to cancel all future recurrence
instances of a recurring component defined with an unbounded RRULE.

While I understand that most applications don't handle arbitrary
modifications to the RRULE property nicely, I believe it shouldn't
be difficult to handle truncation of unbounded RRULE properly with
the simple addition of a COUNT or UNTIL rule part.

In my opinion, this would be much simpler than trying to address
the 4 issues that were raised with the RANGE parameter in the
following thread:

http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2006-October/001239.html

and, more importantly, expect applications to support it.

Cheers,
Bernard