[Ietf-calsify] Recommendationsfor strippingdown iCaltoa manageable 'standard'

Bernard Desruisseaux bernard.desruisseaux at oracle.com
Fri Oct 28 20:43:04 PDT 2005

Carol,

The table I posted in a separate thread was built with the
assumption that the "TENTATIVE" part in "BUSY-TENTATIVE" was
derived from STATUS:TENTATIVE based on the following information:

RFC 2445, section 4.2.9 Free/Busy Time Type:

  The value BUSY-TENTATIVE indicates that the time interval is busy
  because one or more events have been *tentatively scheduled* for
  that interval.

RFC 2445, section 4.8.1.11 Status:

  used by the "Organizer" to provide a confirmation of the event to the
  "Attendees". For example in a "VEVENT" calendar component, the
  "Organizer" can indicate that a meeting is tentative, confirmed or
  cancelled.

You may ask "But what if I tentatively accepted the event?" (i.e.,
you set PARTSTAT=TENTATIVE on *your* ATTENDEE property). Shouldn't
the derived FBTYPE be BUSY-TENTATIVE even though the event might
have been confirmed by the Organizer (i.e., STATUS:CONFIRMED)?
It seems not.

Section 4.8.1.11 makes me believe that an attendee would not change
the value of the STATUS property set by the Organizer (i.e., "the
property is used by the Organizer..."). But I don't believe it is
the case for the TRANSP property given that its purpose is to "define
whether an event is transparent or not to busy time searches" on a
calendar. The same way you would ignore/modify the VALARM that you
would receive from the Organizer, you would also ignore/modify the
value of the TRANSP property as you wish.

Cheers,
Bernard