[Ietf-calsify] PERIOD types

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Tue Apr 12 02:24:54 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 01:15, Doug Royer wrote:
> Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > But that's usually not what users would exists [expect?]. If I have an
> > event
> >
>  > at 13:00  and it lasts 1 day, I expect it to end on 13:00 on the next
>
> day,
>
>  > no matter if the night is one hour shorter or longer as usual.
>
> Then the Organizer CUA is free to do the math that way, as long as what
> it sends out is not open to interpretation at least two different ways.

But in that case you loose the meta-information that the event is supposed to
last one day. It's the same problem as with removing RRULEs. Sure, the
resulting events will look the same, but you loose the meta-information of
what the organizer actually intended. And that's not what I call
interoperability.

As I already said, I see the purpose of a standard to clearly define how
things are supposed to be handled in all cases. So let's clearly state what
1D means, and all standards-compliant applications will then understand it
the same way.

> > Even if the "big two" (as you put it) don't think like that, I would say
> > that's a bug in their implementation.
>
> What's the point of CALSIFY?

To force the mistakes of a few implementations on all others?

Reinhold

email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/
 * K Desktop Environment, http://www.kde.org, KOrganizer / KPilot maintainer