[Ietf-calsify] Re: XML format?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Oct 11 16:14:52 PDT 2004

In article <6.1.1.1.0.20041006222713.0285b490 at mail.comcast.net>,
 TimHare at comcast.net wrote:

> Please look at:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hare-xcalendar-01.txt
>
> Suggestions and opinions are appreciated.

In Section 8, you recommend using the HTTP URIs of the RFCs as XML
namespace names. This is potentially problematic (what happens when ther
are superseded?). I'd suggest XML namespace URIs in the
urn:ietf:params:xml:ns tree (RFC 3920 is a recent spec that uses these).

In Section 9, your media types are off -- "application/calendar+xml" is
more correct. http://www.xmpp.org/specs/rfc3923.html#iana has an example
of a recent content-type registration of this kind. When the time comes,
don't forget to run your definition by the friendly folks on the
ietf-types list: http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-types

In Section 11.1 you define a DTD. That's so old-fashioned -- all the
cool kids are using XML schema these days. ;-)

That's about as far as I got. It'll be great to have an XML format for
calendar objects!

Peter

P.S. Given some of the layout oddities, it seems that perhaps you did
not use the XML RFC format; http://xml.resource.org/ tells you how and
it is highly recommended!