[Ietf-calsify] Another issue - reschedules and recurrences

Cameron Stillion camerost at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Aug 19 09:15:32 PDT 2004

Yep, it is hard to figure out what to do.  Outlook, for instance,
deletes all of the old instances, loses all conflicts, and
re-establishes the meeting at the new recurrence locations.  Not pretty,
but in the end you have what you asked for (albeit a bit brutally).

There is a user model here that is not quite clear.  When you are
changing a meeting significantly, do you simply truncate the existing
one and create a new one? Or, do you munge the old one beyond
recognition? It seems rather repugnant to simply exclude every instance
of the appointment and include a secondary recurrence that accurately
represents the meeting.  But I'm not sure we should enforce either
behavior.  The user does whatever they will do.

Perhaps the underlying storage should even support both approaches (it
does now).  Smarter clients though, could avoid changing past
recurrences using exceptions (let's hope there aren't too many) and
create new (future) recurrences using the updated recurrence info.  Can
we leave this decision to the clients?

This seems less of a schema/interop issue than a client decision.

cameron