[ietf-caldav] Question on draft-daboo-srv-caldav-02

Cyrus Daboo cyrus at daboo.name
Tue Mar 9 08:00:07 PST 2010

Hi Jan,

--On March 6, 2010 3:13:17 PM +0100 Jan Algermissen
<algermissen1971 at mac.com> wrote:

> I have recently quite closely looked at DNS-SD[1] and then coincidently
> saw you srv-caldav I-D.
>
> Can you explain, why you did not follow the approach taken by DNS-SD but
> chose to combine SRV records with a 'well-known URI' to solve the 'path
> problem'?

First off all dns-sd is not (yet) an IETF standard whereas .well-known has
been approved for publication as an RFC. .well-known also provides a higher
degree of flexibility to server admins. Changing the server path only
requires a change on the web server rather than making DNS changes (which
may take time to propagate due to TTL issues). Given that the service is
HTTP-based I think .well-known is sufficient and more easily deployable.

--
Cyrus Daboo