[Ietf-caldav] freebusy lookups in CalDav are too hard to consume?

Helge Hess helge.hess at opengroupware.org
Mon May 29 16:29:59 PDT 2006

On 30. Mai 2006, at 01:01 Uhr, Kervin L. Pierre wrote:
> (i) DOM and XPath gives manipulating XML a strong
> advantage.

Do you really need this for _freebusy_? I mean its just two time
items and a status ... ;-)

> libical, jical, etc. are all very mature libraries
> but hopefully there will be some migration path in
> the future for client/server developers who'd want to
> make the leap to XML only.

Well, XML is just the syntax (you can easily write a DOM builder/SAX
driver for
the iCal/vCard tag format, indeed this is how we do it). What makes
iCalendar
parsing hard is mostly the semantics (eg decoding/calculating
recurrences, dealing
with timezones), XML doesn't help here at all.

Anyway, I would also favor XML. But there are almost no points for it
when we
consider iCalendar _freebusy_ and few if we consider full iCalendar.
In the same
run you would instantly loose access to the existing infrastructure.

So personally I'm OK with the current setup. Require iCalendar in
CalDAV. And if server implementors want to do something in addition
(JSON or XML or whatever),
they can still do this by using HTTP 'accept'.
I'm not sure I correctly followed the arguments by Lisa on 'accept'.
Can't we require CalDAV clients to send a specific 'accept' header?
(eg disallow */* ;-)

Greets,
   Helge
--