[Dev] Eric3 Python IDE

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Thu Sep 1 22:52:27 PDT 2005

Somehow I stumbled into Eric3 Python IDE
(http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html). It has a pretty
impressive set of features, including generating nice pictures of your
program (see
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Journal/ChandlerDiagram20050901).

But probably the thing that interested me the most was it's debugger
support. It claims to have at least 3 debugger modes, one of which is to
debug multithreaded applications (if you are working with mail or
sharing code you probably wished there was a debugger that would work...)

Anyway, after playing around with Eric3 (what a weird name) I was able
to get it to start Chandler. But it did not go all the way. I am stumped
with the error:

  view = Utility.initRepository(repoDir, Globals.options)
DBError: (-30974, "DB_VERSION_MISMATCH": Database environment version
mismatch -- Program version 4.3 does not match environment version")

The debugger also seemed to be reasonably fast, which is another reason
why this would be intersting to get working.

--
  Heikki Toivonen