[Dev] Propose getting rid of developer release

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Tue Nov 29 15:11:31 PST 2005

Andi Vajda wrote:
> As for running a debug version if Chandler, it is as easy as:
>   - checkout chandler sources
>   - make DEBUG=1 install
> You do not need to do a full debug build to run a debug build.

Thanks, forgot to mention that. Of course, that does require installing
cygwin on Windows and dev tools on Mac, something end users are not
going to do and some developers may also not want to do.

To summarize some IRC conversations...

Things I believe we all agree on:

* We don't think anyone is downloading and running the debug release
currently
* Running the debug versions continuously would catch more bugs
* Running debug versions is too slow, at least on the Mac and probably
on other platforms as well unless you have a really fast machine

Things that we may not agree on:

* I think it would be very unlikely to get people who have found a bug
in the release bits to then reproduce the bug in the debug version to
get more information for a bug report
* I don't think we should spend energy in trying to optimize the debug bits
* I think it is going to take a long while before the debug bits are
going to be fast enough to run day to day

Things that we definitely disagree on:

I think we should drop the debug bits because they are not used and
because of the benefits we would gain by doing so. John is a strong
opponent of this and wants us to encourage people to use the debug bits
instead. I don't know of any other project that provides debug bits like
we do, but John says some past project(s) he's worked on have helped
track bugs because end users used debug bits.

Does this now include all the views? If I don't hear anything else on
this thread by tomorrow noon, I'll post some possible actions based on
these that we can decide on.

--
  Heikki Toivonen