[Dev] persisting a preference

Philippe Bossut pbossut at osafoundation.org
Fri Nov 11 00:22:08 PST 2005

Hi,

First, I'd like to say +1 on this proposal though I'd like some things
to be clarified.

In general, a problem I always had with preferences is that it's an
amorphous aggregate of info without much semantic attached to it. It
rapidly becomes a clutter of everything no one knows exactly where to
fit. Preferences were invented to persist data between sessions for
document oriented applications that lacked a way to persist their own
data. In the context of Chandler, it's not a problem we really have
though we still need to persist things (I won't call them
preferences...) that are not user data per se (see Jeffrey initial
example in this thread).

Also, I know no one is advocating having UI for preferences (under a
"Preferences..." menu item), but, in case anyone has doubt, I advocate
against having a "Preferences..." menu item at all. Preferences menu
lead to countless discoverability issues. I'm of the opinion that if a
function foo is dependent of data "x", data "x" should be available in
the UI of function foo, not buried in some obscure preference panel (you
can tell I suffered through that one, can you?... :) )

In general, I see 2 big types of preferences:
- state info: info that we want to persist between sessions (last
selected item, options chosen by the user in dialog x, prefered behavior
for action z...). Jeffrey's default folder for instance falls in that
category.
- style info: info that relates to how things are displayed (font types,
font size, colors, border info, etc...). Having a clear and simple way
to modify those in Chandler would indeed be a god send.

There may be other types.

User data (like account information for instance) are not preferences
but, well, user data. The criteria between preferences and user data is
that preferences can be purged or reset without the user loosing
anything or having to reconfigure anything. The worst that could happen
is that states and styles are lost. We don't need for instance to
implement schema evolution for preferences but we do need to implement
it for user data. That's another criteria to semantically discriminate
one from the other.

It's not always obvious. Consider that Mail.app for instance has its UI
to set up accounts under a Preferences... panel.  Admitedly, nixing
accounts in an e-mail app is not semantically the same thing that nixing
the default e-mail font. Still, those 2 things are at the same UI level.
Bad, bad...

So I guess that my vote is +1 for having such a general mechanism,
assuming we don't call them indiscriminately "preferences" but something
else semantically meaningful (like "config" and "styles" for instance,
so that we really think about their semantic when creating them) and
that we don't take advantage of this to bury important UI controls in
hidden preferences panels... :)

Cheers,
- Philippe