[Dev] RSS feeds of OSAF wiki

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Fri Mar 19 15:59:34 PST 2004

Ted Leung wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2004, at 8:29 AM, Michael Bernstein wrote:
>
>> Kaitlin Duck Sherwood wrote:
>>
>>> It is now possible to get RSS feeds of the various OSAF WikiWebs:
>>>   http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Chandler/WebRss?skin=rss
>>>   http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Jungle/WebRss?skin=rss
>>>   http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Journal/WebRss?skin=rss
>>>   http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebRss?skin=rss
>>>   http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Glossary/WebRss?skin=rss
>>
>> I've been subscribed to these for a few days and the volume is
>> overwhelming.
 >
 > I personally don't find the volume to be that bad, but I am
 > reading lots of other feeds.

Ted, while it isn't overwhelming to read the feed, that doesn't actually
tell you much that is useful. You have to open each one in a  browser
and find the diff link at the bottom of the page. Multiply that by
several dozen updates in a single day, and you have a serious time-sink.

>> While this is a much more convenient way to see a list of which pages
>> have changed, the description is simply a truncated version of the
>> page content, so it doesn't help to see what the changes *are* without
>> following the link and then clicking the diff view at the bottom of
>> the page. Can we stick a diff in the RSS description?
>>
>> Also, some better indication of when a notification is for page
>> creation rather than an edit would be good (ie use "Created:
>> SomeWikiPage" for the posting title).
>
> I do think that both of these are excellent suggestions.  Decent RSS
> readers should have no trouble with this much data, and it would be
> great to stay in one program for this.

Great! I look forward to seeing you at PyCon.

- Michael R. Bernstein
   michaelbernstein.com