[Dev] Planned build/tree changes

Andi Vajda vajda at osafoundation.org
Thu Mar 11 19:41:38 PST 2004

Sorry for the confusion. We are not talking of shifting the burden on
developers to build their own versions of the third party packages either.

The main thrust of the effort is to no longer keep third party sources in our
CVS tree. This is mainly because of the difficulties related to merging
multiple versions of a third party package whose changes we don't necessarily
follow closely using 'cvs import'.

What I'm working on at the moment:
  - separating the building of third parties from the building of Chandler
  - separating the Chandler CVS tree from the third party CVS tree (there
would still be things checked into CVS, for example the files to drive the
third parties build and packaging, patches applied to third party sources,
etc..)
  - making the building of third parties optional (it actually already is)

The process of building the third parties would still be pretty much automated
except that the step of getting the sources would no longer be done through
'cvs update' but by extracting a tarball.

Andi..