[Dev] Planned build/tree changes

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Thu Mar 11 14:15:06 PST 2004

We are planning on doing some pretty major changes to the way people get
and build Chandler from source. The major idea is that we want to get
rid of the 3rd party libraries from our source tree, especially those
that we do not change. We want to encourage developers to not building
everything from scratch, and instead just get the binaries for those
third party libraries and concentrate on working with Chandler Python
source.

In other words, the goals/requirements include:
    * Make it easy to develop Chandler
    * Make it easier to migrate to newer versions of 3rd party libraries
    * Use the 3rd party libraries that already exist on your system
    * Reduce the CVS repository size
    * Discourage building 3rd party packages unless you have to

We don't have anything set in stone yet, but some preliminary thinking
can be seen here:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Chandler/WindowsBuild

Andi has volunteered as our guinea pig and he is in the process of
figuring out how this could work with things in osaf/chandler/persistence.

We know that going this route has its own challenges, and it is easy to
make things hard for developers. If you have experience with a project
that uses 3rd party libraries and has developed good processes to deal
with them, we'd love to hear from you. Also, if you have bad experiences
those would help as well, because we want to avoid previous mistakes.

Please note that these planned changes have NOTHING to do with end user
installers.

--
   Heikki Toivonen