[Dev] Sample data request: Sidebar screenshot

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed Dec 1 11:50:28 PST 2004

Mimi Yin wrote:
> 1. What made you decide to file your mailing list messages into separate
> folders (1 per list) as opposed to a single mailing list folder or a
> couple of mailing list folders based on priority or topic (ie. Must-do
> reading, Should-do reading, Only-if-I-have-nothing-better-to-do reading)

Since I also tend to create one folder per list (some exceptions, when
the topics are really close to each other), I decided I'd answer for myself.

* When you subscribe to a mailinglist, you will get instructions on how
to unsubscribe. When I have mailinglists in separate folders I can
easily find the instructions on how to unsubscribe - just look at the
oldest message.

* I can easily scan the message headers to see what is junk that my spam
filters missed. This is possible because each list is very narrowly focused.

* I prefer newsgroups over mailinglists (newsgroups have hierarchies).
By using folders I can partially simulate this.

* Many lists that I subscribe to are really specific and have almost
nothing in common with other lists. For example Twisted and wxPython. I
may even ignore messages in those folders until I again start working in
that area.

--
   Heikki Toivonen