[Design] Thunderbird / Exchange and Data flow in to Chandler

Brian Kirsch bkirsch at osafoundation.org
Fri Jan 4 15:26:44 PST 2008

Hello,
I have been waiting till most folks are back from vacation to follow
up with
the investigations I have been doing regarding providing new mechanisms
for getting data in to Chandler.

Specifically, I have been looking at the feasibility of creating a
plugin for
Thunderbird to allow Email to be easily assigned a workflow and
brought in to the Chandler Universe. As well as the feasibility of
leveraging the
Open Change project to provided Exchange support as a Chandler Plug-in.

The Thunderbird plug-in looks very doable and would interface
directly with the Chandler Hub.

Some of the current ideas on what actions the Thunderbird Plug-In
would perform are:

1. Sync messages in IMAP Drafts/Sent folders with Chandler Drafts/
Sent messages.
2. Stamp a message and add it to a list of collection(s)
3. Assign Triage status to message items
4. Map individual IMAP folders to collections
5. Receive notifications from Hub Service when:
        a. New / Edited items in a collection
        b. Items tickled to NOW

If you have any suggestions for features that you would like to see
implemented
in a Thunderbird plug-in now is the perfect time to share them.

The Exchange research sadly did not prove as fruitful.

http://www.openchange.org/

There are a number of aspects of Open Change that I think
makes it not an ideal project to tackle right now.

First. it has a GPL license which makes it incompatible with
Chandler's Apache license. There are certainly ways to work
around that however, the major draw back of using Open Change
for Exchange connectivity is its huge dependance on Samba.

Open Change is really intended to provide Exchange connectivity
to the Unix platforms. The proof of concept project that Open Change
is working on is an Exchange  plug-in for the Linux Mail Client
Evolution.

I believe not being able to provide support for Windows users who
are the ones mostly using Exchange in a corporate environment
is less than ideal.

One option is to create an Exchange to Chandler Proxy Server
that could handle data transformation between Exchange MAPI and
Chandler CalDAV / EIMML.

Again it would be limited in terms of the platforms it can deploy on
due to the Samba dependency.

Either way, the investment costs to implement the Exchange
connectivity via Open Change will be high and probably not worth
it at this stage of the Chandler project.

I do have another suggestion which although still not ideal can deliver
a credible Microsoft Outlook / Exchange story in a much shorter
development
window using tools already available in the Python community.

It would be pretty straight forward to leverage Python the Win32
bindings
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/) to connect via COM to the
Outlook Application Object and via MAPI retrieve Calendar /
Scheduling / and
Tasks from an Exchange server.

The SpamBayes project already has a successful Outlook Plugin written
in Python for Spam Classification so we can leverage the general
principles they
employ.

The specifics of what operations would be performed when connecting to
Outlook / Exchange as well as whether the functionality would be an
Outlook
or Chandler Plugin are still open to debate.

But in a fairly fast development window Chandler could in this scenario
provide a means for Outlook / Exchange users to bring data in to
Chandler.

In fact, the Outlook Plugin and the Thunderbird plugin could provide
the same
feature sets.

The limitations of leveraging COM to connect to Exchange are:
1. It's Windows Only
2. The User has to Have Outlook Installed on the System

Thoughts /  comments / alternative suggestions about Exchange next
steps?

-Brian

Brian Kirsch
Internationalization Architect / Mail Service Engineer
Open Source Applications Foundation
543 Howard Street 5th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
http://www.osafoundation.org