[Design] More feedback questions and Feature Requests (RC2)

Robin Cottiss rcottiss at cottiss.com
Tue Sep 4 18:17:26 PDT 2007

[Robin Cottiss]
What I meant here is: because a Someday/Later collection should, by definition, contain Later type
items I would like new items in this collection to default to Later rather than now. Then I would
not need to change the status for a newly created item.

I am not so sure about finer grades of triage status. I think you may have already had some
discussion along the lines of 'if there are more grades then it is not triage'

I am more concerned about the requirement that fits everything into collections, triage status and
item types (stamps). I am sure there are more dimensions and more hierarchies within some of the
dimensions. There is perhaps a project dimension. Perhaps collections can be grouped. Perhaps triage
should change to a more generic term that allows more than three grades. It all depends on how close
you want to stick to GTD principles. I imagine Chandler as a having the flexibility to be made to
work for a GTD method but it should also be flexible enough to support other methods. What if
someone (David Allen even) comes up with a refinement of the GTD method will Chandler users be able
to adopt the new technique? What if another method of managing tasks gains popularity (somebody
figures out that reversing the ABC method to CBA is a great method ;) ) This may be a long, long way
off but I am wondering if some of the back end work you have done will ever enable such flexibility.
This also sounds terribly complicated, and I am sure it would present User Interaction challenges,
but I really believe that it is sometimes easier to solve a more general problem than the specific
one.