[Design] Should dashboard display order change immediately after edits?

Dan Steinicke dan at osafoundation.org
Tue Nov 6 09:14:01 PST 2007

Mimi Yin wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Dan Steinicke wrote:
>
>> Currently the display order of summary table rows can change
>> immediately after a user completes an edit on an item.  I think this
>> is undesirable behavior.  I think the table view should only re-order
>> when the column headers are clicked, or in response to the passage of
>> time.
>
> Dan, are you speaking from a testing perspective?
No, I am speaking as a user of software.  I like software behavior that
follows established conventions (sorting caused by clicking column
headers, tables not re-ordering immediately after edits), unless there
is a very clear need to operate differently.  I don't see the need to
depart from convention in these cases.   I fear that needlessly
departing from convention makes it harder for new users to understand
the app and will lead to lower adoption levels.
> I think the idea is that most of the time, users are sorted by Triage,
> so this isn't as much of an issue.
Right, so long as they are sorted by triage, one of seven possible
sorts, they are good to go.  I feel that a large segment of our
potential users won't understand this and will be confused and
disappointed by the behavior.  I see confusion of new users as a major
barrier to adoption.

>> As part of recording a test script I wanted to select each item in
>> the table from top to bottom and add a 'X' at the beginning of each
>> title.  I found this operation difficult to do because regardless of
>> which column I sorted on (I tried Title, date, and task) at some
>> point the table would re-order in response to my edits.  I find this
>> automatic re-ordering very annoying behavior and find it hard to
>> believe most users would want the table to behave this way.
>
> This would work if you sorted by Triage Status, no?
Yup.

>> I think this also ties in to the end user confusion around the
>> "Triage" button.  I have always thought it would be much more
>> intuitive to just have the triage column header button do what the
>> "Triage" button now does.  In my understanding the main function of
>> the "Triage" button is to prevent row reordering when you change the
>> triage state.  If rows only re-ordered when the headers were clicked
>> then it would seem we would be able to simplify this work flow as well.
>
> I think we can make the column header do the same thing as the Triage
> button.
>
> The disadvantage of having *only* the column header as the way to
> Triage is that users will want to 'Triage' often, but not reverse the
> sort order often. I think we'll run into people not wanting to click
> on the column header because they don't want DONE to be at the top.
I don't see this as much of a disadvantage, all they have to do is click
the header a second time to get back the sort order they want.  If this
makes our app more intuitive for first time users I still think it is a
better way to go.  If this is a big concern I could see changing the
triage header work by reversing the sort order _only_ if there was no
triaging to do, if there was triaging to do it would only do that.