[Design] creating new Hub account from the accounts dialog

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Sat Dec 15 10:35:37 PST 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 6:14 PM, Heikki Toivonen <heikki at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> However, do we ever validate the users' email addresses after the
> account creation? If not, why should we validate the first time? Also,
> how do you deal with users whose email addresses have become invalid
> (changing ISPs, forgetting email password, .,..)? What about users whose
> email address is no longer valid, and who also forget their Cosmo password?

what is the percentage of users for whom this is going to happen?
pretty small. i think you're grasping at straws trying to rationalize
getting rid of a feature that is both very common and very useful in
public services.

t's less useful in small groups where the server administrator knows
personally all of his users, and he can turn the feature off if he
doesn't want it.

> You will also have to keep in mind that Chandler desktop client does not
> show normal emails to the user. Despite all the warnings we may throw
> their way, some users may try to set up a Hub account using an email
> address they use only in Chandler desktop client. Does all our
> communication to Hub users go out with some special headers that informs
> Chandler that it should display the email? (Actually, I am not even sure
> if there are any such headers that the desktop client honors at the moment.)

no, but we certainly could add that feature if it was necessary.