[Design] Cosmo 1.0 plan

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Fri Dec 7 15:52:54 PST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 3:34 PM, Sheila Mooney <sheila at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> Similarly to the email I sent about the Desktop 1.0 plan, I wanted to start
> some dialog around our plans for the Server.

I don't see anything particularly controversial here, but this plan
continues to ignore one major feature that our users keep requesting
week after week, in IRC and email, and in the recent questionnaire on
chandler-users: better access control.

it seems that many people who are already adopting Cosmo aren't
satisfied with ticket-based sharing but rather want to set permissions
on a per-user or per-group basis. some of our most vocal recent users
are using Cosmo in an office environment that is less casual than a
family or book club.

I would really appreciate a firm statement one way or another on
whether we're going to address this issue for 1.0. this will help me
give a better answer every time somebody new asks me about the
feature.

I also don't see anything about scheduling in this plan. after the
last on-site staff meeting and subsequent talks with various managers,
I had the impression that we were going to give serious consideration
to scheduling features. that's the last I heard on the subject. what
happened?

I'm glad to see that we're starting to plan again in larger feature
windows than the two week release cycles. I think we've been a little
too preoccupied with bugs and haven't looked beyond the short term for
quite some time.