[Design] Re: [Cosmo] Styleguide Notes + Follow-up Part III

Matthew Eernisse mde at osafoundation.org
Wed Apr 25 16:33:07 PDT 2007

Priscilla Chung wrote:
>> + We will use 'User name' (as opposed to username, User Name, user id,
>> ID, etc).

"User name" is a term I can't remember ever seeing anywhere (on the Web
or otherwise), and is easily confused with the idea of the "user's
name," e.g., "Sarah Rodriguez" or "Ravi Johnson."

The terms 'login ID,' 'user ID,' and 'username' are all pretty standard
and well-established terms both in general computing and all over the
Web to indicate "that other thingy besides the password I have to type
to get into my account."

I would much rather us pick one of these standard terms and use it
unless there's some compelling reason to do otherwise. Given that it's
the Login page, I'd be inclined to lean toward 'login ID,' but I don't
really feel strongly about any certain one.

Matthew