[Design] Alternate sidebar designs for icons and the overlay state

Bryan Stearns stearns at osafoundation.org
Mon Sep 18 12:50:58 PDT 2006

Of the three as they are, I prefer the first alternative (separate dot,
no grey dot when unselected for overlay), but only because the rollover
behavior in the default implementation is so jarring: it seems to
signify something completely separate from the tag it replaces; if the
rollover were a slighter modification to the tag icon that's there, I'd
understand that clicking there wasn't going to somehow change the basic
nature of the thing represented by the icon.

So my real vote is: make the mouseover state better, don't use more
space for another widget.
...Bryan