[Design] [Chandler][Stamping Question] Visual cue when making edits

Philippe Bossut pbossut at osafoundation.org
Fri Sep 15 11:22:41 PDT 2006

Priscilla Chung wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2006, at 9:04 PM, Sheila Mooney wrote:
>
>> That being said, I still think tracking and storing changes is the
>> larger issue. We have already decided not to handle
>> threading/versioning for Preview so I don't know how we would handle
>> the changes/additions etc..maybe this is a different problem. Maybe
>> you are really asking the question: Is there an easy way to handle
>> versions for Preview? I shouldn't speculate and we should hear from
>> the developers.
>>

> Yes agreed. I understand track changes/versioning is the long term
> goal. For preview, I'm just asking what will be possible with just
> plain text. And specifically only in the notes field in the detail
> view. Not a date/time change and how to give the user a visual cue on
> those changes. So in regards to the notes field we may be just talking
> about the two examples I presented earlier:
>
> Example 1:
> Dinner @ 7PM at Café Floré
> > Let's do dinner at 8PM in case I am late.
> >> 8PM sounds great!
>
> Example 3:
> On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:15PM, Priscilla Chung wrote:
> Dinner @7PM at Café Floré
>
> On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:32PM, Dan Steinicke wrote:
> no let's do 8PM
>
> On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:40PM, Priscilla Chung wrote:
> That sounds great!
>
> Does that make sense?
That makes sense and that would avoid rewriting the Notes field in the
DV *but* this still requires a mechanism for track changes/versioning
and the building of a synthetic for display version of the field. Not a
piece of cake and something I really don't see as a "must have" for preview.

Unless you had in mind the mechanism used by email when answering a
thread? i.e., when you edit the notes fields, the whole thing becomes
prefixed with ">" on each line and/or with a "Time / Author wrote" line?
That would be easy (I think) though that would recreate a lot of the
collaboration through email issues...

Note that a workaround would be for users to simply not erase stuff but
simply add to the field. If having the history of changes is that
important for some users, some a simple enough hint to suggest and use.

Cheers,
- Philippe