[Design] [Cosmo] Login-related workflows update

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Mon Nov 6 16:47:08 PST 2006

On 11/6/06, Priscilla Chung <priscilla at osafoundation.org> wrote:

> That's fine. One of the questions I've been pondering is if the users
> who would use file sharing might also be a casual collaborator (CC)
> target user.

i think there will be some crossover, but probably not much.

> 1. Opposed to having login checkboxes, use separate subdomains for
> capabilites. This is the model followed by a number of web apps, for
> example calendar.google.com, mail.yahoo.com. A user may login to any
> google of google's 'properties' such as gcal or gmail, enter the
> subdomian url of another property and preserve their login status.

sub-domains is not something we can mandate as software providers.
using a technique like that is a choice of the deployer, not the
software vendor.

that said, i have another idea. we could separate out the repository
browsing ui into a separate webapp, integrated into snarf, and
separately downloadable as a war file from the core cosmo war file.

heck, we could even do this with the admin and cc uis as well and have
a completely ui-free core cosmo webapp, which i think would make jared
philosophically and metaphysically happy ;)

this would let administrators mix and match whatever uis they want,
and it would give deployers a little more freedom with proxying and
sub-domains and so forth.