[Design] Forwarding and Replying to Recurring Events
mimi at osafoundation.org
Fri Nov 3 15:29:48 PST 2006
Again, while reviewing: http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/
Journal/DashboardSharingCommunicationsRecurrence, we got stuck on how
Reply, Reply All and Forward should work for Recurring events. As I
mentioned in my last email about Read/Unread status, we are NOT
supporting Sending, Forwarding and Updating of individual instances
or subsets of recurring event series. Instead, any time the user
performs a Communications related operation with a recurring event,
the entire series is affected (e.g. Addressing the event).
However, I had a question for the engineers about whether this
strictness was necessary for Replies, since replies don't deal with
the actual recurring event.
This then led to a tangential discussion about what we should display
in the Notes field when Forwarding or Replying to an event series
that has modified instances in it. (Today, we print an event's
metadata in the Notes field and derive the Title field from the Event
Title field when Forwarding and Replying to regular, non-recurring
events). If a recurring event has a different Title for each
instance, What do we display in the Forward and/or Reply?
How should forward work on recurring events? What do we display in
the Notes field when forwarding a recurring event series that has
modified instances in it?
* Can we just display the attribute values from the Master event?
How should reply work on recurring events?
* Can we reply to individual instances of a recurring event, or
the 'This and Future' subset of a recurring event series?
* If so, can we mark individual instances of a recurring event
or the 'This and Future' subset of a recurring event series as 'Needs
Replying to an individual instance or the 'This and Future' subset of
a recurring event series would mean the following:
* Displaying the right thing in the Notes field of Reply message:
* If you are replying to the entire series, display the
metadata from the master event
* If you are replying to a single instance, display the
metadata from that single instance
* If you are replying to the 'This and Future' subset of the
recurring event series, display the metadata from the
* Allowing users to choose between All, Just this event, and This
and Future when marking an item as 'Needs reply'.
* Post-preview, it will mean keeping track of which instances, or
which subset of instances have been 'Replied to'.
Please see Alpha 4 email spec for more details about what 'display
the metadata from' means: http://svn.osafoundation.org/docs/trunk/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Design