[Design] task list feature

Mimi Yin mimi at osafoundation.org
Mon Jun 12 16:36:04 PDT 2006

Hello Edward,

Thank you for writing up these suggestions. I think we're in complete
agreement that tasks are important. Really, you can think of OSAF's 3
projects: the Desktop client, Web app and Server as 3 complementary
parts of a single collaborative-task-management system for small
groups where calendaring plays a supporting role, albeit a crucial
supporting role.

In that sense, most of the design work that's been done on Chandler
has been in the realm of information processing and task management.
Some of this design work has been realized, but the bulk of it is
being spec'd out for 0.7.

If you haven't already, it might be worth taking a quick look at
this: http://chandler.osafoundation.org/philosophy.php

It will give you a high level overview of how we're approaching the
challenge of building an effective and useful task management tool
for small groups.

For a more detailed view of how task management usage scenarios will
be supported, you can check out the recently written Dashboard spec:
http://svn.osafoundation.org/docs/trunk/docs/specs/rel0_7/
Dashboard-0.7.html

The Dashboard is short-hand for our centralized information
processing and task management view. Key design concepts informing
the design of the Dashboard are: Triage, iterative information
processing, keeping runway versus project views in sync, Stamping.

For more background, see:
+ http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/TriageDesign
+ http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Jungle/NaturalWorkflowDesign
+ http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Jungle/
OutlookOrganizingAffordances
+ http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/OrganizeDesign

I think your specific suggestion for creating a new task when hitting
the return key is a great idea. It would most probably fall under the
keyboard support section of the spec, which will most likely be
fleshed out in more detail in a separate keyboard interaction spec.

In the meantime, please feel free to log it as a feature enhancement
in our bug-tracking system: https://bugzilla.osafoundation.org/
enter_bug.cgi

Thx!

Mimi