[Design] Re: Multipe window support

Mimi Yin mimi at osafoundation.org
Mon Jun 12 07:42:08 PDT 2006

Hi John, moving discussion to the list...

On Jun 12, 2006, at 7:27 AM, John Anderson wrote:

> It should be pretty easy to try out -- and see what problems might
> arise. I've found multiple wiundows in Mozilla email confusing and
> notice that Thunderbird doesn't allow them these days. Do you think
> that would confuse users?

I wonder if part of the confusion of launching multiple app windows
in Mozilla has to do with not being able to tell which window is your
"main" window, you're frame of reference so to speak.

Could we launch secondary app windows with the sidebar closed? That
way, the secondary window is really just a container for displaying a
single collection, rather than another app window?

The Title bar of the window would tell you what you're looking at:
Work, Home Calendar, School Task list, etc.

I think this is more in line with user motivation for multiple
windows as well. Most of the time, when you want a second app window,
it's not because you want to control the app from multiple windows
(that's confusing), it's because you want to pull up multiple
collections at a time so you can drag and drop Items between them.

> Also, what item would the new detail view display and how would you
> propose changing the item that is displayed?

I don't think the detail view would need to be wired to a selection
in the summary pane. It would work the way message windows work in
mail clients. If you want to see the details of a different Item, you
d-click on a different Item in the main window-summary pane.