[Design] A calendar that tracks people and locations

Grant Baillie grant at osafoundation.org
Thu Jun 1 13:35:53 PDT 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 5:18, Callum Macdonald wrote:

> Nobody has anything to say about my ingenious brainwave that's
> going to change the world? :)

Hi, Callum

Sorry for the delay, and welcome to the list :). These are cool
ideas, especially for users who travel a lot: IMHO it wouldn't
interfere with users being  able to build up a mental picture of
their schedule, but would help avoid unfortunate scheduling errors.

 From an engineering perspective, Chandler's model (and UI) for
location is still pretty rudimentary: in the long run, it's easy to
imagine that being beefed up, and having the app suck down web 2.0
data for those "transit appointments" (airline & public transit
schedules, maps & driving directions, etc). The devil, of course,
would be in the details the application logic of integrating all that
data. Even in simple cases (like, calling in to a meeting scheduled
in a shared calendar as being in a different time zone), it's non-
trivial to make the location inference correctly.

While people here have thought about some aspects of your "ingenious
brainwave" :) (e.g. events with start & end times in different
timezones, which are supported by some clients, like Lotus Notes), I
don't know of anyone having looked in depth at a location-savvy
calendar. I also don't think that we (OSAF) could undertake to do
this in the Chandler 1.0 timeframe: We're more focused on different
devilish details: dealing with sharing and scheduling in small
workgroups. However, it would be a great opportunity for a third-
party parcel (plugin) writer.

--Grant