[Design] Expando Date/Time fields

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at osafoundation.org
Wed Jan 11 13:53:25 PST 2006

Hi Folks,

> In a nutshell, can we summarize date/time information into 2 lines or
> less. Protect the user from all of the edit widgets for date/time. Only
> reveal them if they click into the date/time description and/or some
> special edit button next to it. (not depicted below)
>
> I'm thinking there are internationalization issues here? Are there ways
> we can experiment with this idea just in English first before worrying
> about internationalizing it? (special English-only, experimental modules?)

I'm a big fan of doing something like this.  We can get ICU to give us
localized date strings.  My uneducated guess is that every language has
some phrase like "to" in the construct "$start to $end $timezone",
hopefully Brian can give a more definitive answer to this.

Unfortunately, I don't think ICU has any "terse date range"
localization.  I'd be happy with an English-only module that renders
date ranges in a more terse way, but I realize that's frowned upon, so I
won't push too hard here. :)

Note that an overnight event like

Sunday Oct 30, 2005 10:00 PM to
Monday Oct 31, 2005 5:00 PM US/Pacific

needs two dates, so we can't always get by with dates and times on
different lines.  Still, my brain has a much easier time reading the
information when date and time are on different lines, so rendering it
that way whenever possible appeals to me.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey