[Design] Command-line for dummies

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Mon Jan 9 14:25:57 PST 2006

Mimi Yin wrote:
> 2. If the keyboard focus is NOT in the detail view, typing text
> automatically moves your focus to the text box.

If the focus is in the summary view, I think I would expect typing to
move the focus to an item that matches what I have written so far. This
is how many list implementations work. For example, say I have:

> One item | 123
  Two item | 2213
  Two jit  | 0

In the above list the focus is on row 'One item'. Let's say I type the
letter 't'. I would expect the first row that starts with T to be
selected ('Two item'). I then continue typing 'wo '. Selection stays the
same. I then type 'j' and selection changes to line 'Two jit'. If there
is a reasonably long pause, and I continue typing it acts as if it was
the first letter in the sequence. So say 10 secs have passed and I then
type 'o' it would select the first row that starts with 'o'.

> 3. The default action is search

The default button should be highlighted.

--
  Heikki Toivonen