[Design] [Proposal] Unified Activity Log UI

Mimi Yin mimi at osafoundation.org
Mon Feb 6 14:48:37 PST 2006

Assumption: We have a "collection" in the "sidebar" or some "sandbox"
area in the sidebar that is a unified Activity log.

What might quality as an Activity?
+ User creates a new item
+ User edits an item (1 log item per attribute changed? or per item
editing session? How do we define item editing session?)
+ Sharee creates new item
+ Sharee edits item
+ Conflict on an item
+ Subscribe and Publish
+ Pull down mail, Send mail
+ Sync status for Email and Sharing (Do we have a single Activity
item that summarizes the entire Sync session? And then individual
Activity items for each individual edit?)

High-level categories of Chandler activities:
+ Sharing / Email / Personal activity
+ New item / Edits / Conflicts / Reminders
+ Activities for each collection OR each Collection/App area
intersection (ie. What's changed on my OSAF calendar?)

Interaction ideas:
+ 1 collection that unifies all Activities into a single view.
Activities can be sorted by the Categories listed above. (ie. Show me
notices for "New items". Show me stuff that I did versus stuff the
server did, etc..) OR
+ Several collections that divide up the Activities into different
Categories (ie. Sharing activities, Email activities, Local activities)

+ Super status bar where Activity log messages scroll by. Click on
the message in the status bar to go look at it in the Activity log.
OR The Status bar expands itself to turn into the Activity manager
(not in 0.7).
+ Can we have a link to the item-in-question in the detail view of
the Activity log item (ie. Lunch with David was moved from noon to
1PM...Click here to go to this event on your calendar.)

Open Issues:
+ When are Activity items marked as read?
+ How long do Activity items live in your repository?
+ Can users manually delete Activity log items?

Mimi