[Design] [Cosmo][Proposal] Alternate way to access homedir browser
mimi at osafoundation.org
Thu Dec 7 10:27:04 PST 2006
Priss and I discussed an alternate proposal for how to provide direct
access for admins and filebrowsers. As mentioned before, most of it
is the same as the old proposal with the exception of Step 1.
1. When user sign up for accounts, we add an Advanced settings area
where admins and filebrowsing users can set a preference for which UI
they want to be taken to when they login. This would also be a good
place where users could turn on timezone support.
Sign up for a Cosmo Account
[ ] Turn on time zones
Specify a time zone: |US/Pacific|v|
[ ] Provide access to my home directory from Cosmo PIM*
[ ] When I login, take me directly to my home directory
For admin accounts (options below are checked by default):
[x] Provide access to the user list page from Cosmo PIM*
[x] When I login, take me directly to the user list page
*Cosmo PIM = end-user CC UI: We need a better user-facing name for this.
2. Access to Cosmo PIM from the admin and filebrowsing UIs is
provided by default.
3. Users can always change these settings from Account Settings,
which accessible from all 3 UIs: admin, filebrowsing and Cosmo PIM.
In other words, Cosmo PIM users can become filebrowsers and/or add
1st order links to their home directory to the Cosmo PIM UI.
4. Homedir browser and Cosmo PIM should open up in separate tabs/
windows. (This is consistent with Requirement #5 above: The homedir
browser should not be treated as yet another view of the CC's PIM data.)
Concerns this proposal is intended to address:
1. Gets rid of the 3 different login pages for admin/filebrowser and CC
2. Reduces confusion for the CC because they will never have to see
the login links for the admin and filebrowser
3. Provides a way for admins and filebrowsers to bypass the CC UI, if
they never use it
1. Is this feasible? Is it 1-2 days of work? or More than 5 days?
2. Does this address people's concerns?
3. If you turn on time zones in Cosmo? does that automatically turn
on time zones in Chandler? Does the same time zone get applied?
4. Jared, you had mentioned that admins would most likely start from
the user list page? Is that accurate?
5. We need to find a better word for Cosmo PIM, should this be a part
of the branding exercise?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Design