[Design] Re-designing right click menu system from a novice user's perspective

selva r selva11r at yahoo.ca
Sun Dec 11 20:01:49 PST 2005

As a practical example of how a two tabbed toolbar might work, I’ll use the topic of the email list window’s folder organizational tools as discussed in a previous thread and re-quoted below for context.

 The default tool bar displayed on top for the email list window might include the typical most commonly used icons found here including Delete, Junk, Reply, Reply All, Forward, Compose, & Get Mail.

 When an email is selected by single clicking on it within the list view, the right click toolbar tab could then become more clearly visible (i.e. no longer greyed out).

 If the user then clicks on this tab, the InBox folder organization tools as described below (on the previous thread) would become available.

 Novice users might then easily learn how to use Chandler’s InBox organizational tools and other advanced Chandler features to their fullest potential instead of simply avoiding them as they often tend to do now in many applications simply because they don’t have the time to learn how to become a ‘power user’ even though the eventual rewards for doing so may be significant.

 --Selva

Sorry, I made a mistake.  Correction in line.

--- selva r <selva11r at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I mentioned previously that one user friendly way to
> manage  organization of email InBox folder tree
> might
> be by thru the right click contextual menu system
> presented when the user right clicks on a sender’s
> email address in the email list views of the email
> app
> or the Dashboard app.   I’m going to try
 to address
> this topic further in this thread.
>
> The contextual right click menu offered could be
> dependent on whether or not the sender is already
> assigned to an InBox folder or not.
>
> A) IF THE SENDER’S ID IS NOT YET ASSIGNED TO A
> FOLDER
>
> If the email sender’s address is not yet assigned to
> an InBox folder then the right click options may be
> as
> follows.
>
> 1) Assign this sender to a new email InBox folder
> 2) Assign this sender to an existing email InBox
> folder
> 3) Automatically triage all incoming emails from
> this
> sender as Now status items
> 4) This is spam
>
> If they select option 1 then a mini-Wizard would
> need
> to guide them thru the process of setting up a new
> email InBox folder.
>
> Hence, a dialogue box may open up requesting the
> user
> to enter the
 name of the new InBox folder.  After
> they
> enter the name and press enter button, a new
> dialogue
> box would open up displaying the currently existing
> InBox folder tree structure and requesting the user
> click the site within the tree where the new folder
> will be inserted.
>
> If this happens to be the very first folder that the
> user is creating for their email InBox, then the
> next
> part of the wizard could simply show the following
> tree diagram:
>
> “Your email InBox folder tree now looks like this.”
>
> [email InBox]
>  - [new folder]

Actually, the user's tree diagram after creating their
first folder would look like this:

[email InBox]
        - [Unclassified]
        - [New folder]

Each email folder in the tree (although not
illustrated here) would of course have it's own triage
summary status line
 immediately below the folder icon
as previously described.

Hence, when the user pulls down the email folder tree
window in Dashboard Frame 1, then they could click on
the 'Unclassified" folder to view email in InBox from
senders other than that which was placed in 'New'
folder.  They might want to do this if the new folder
was for a busy list such as discuss at openoffice.org so
that their other emails don't get lost in the
discussion group noise.

Optitionally, the user could also click on the highest
category of the tree which would be 'InBox' folder
itself to view all emails from all folders
collectively within Dashboard's Frame 1.

Or, the user could also click on just the 'New' folder
to see just emails from this folder within Dashboard's
Frame 1.

The same email InBox tree of course could also
 be used
within Chandler's Email subapplication.

--Selva

> Hence, the email InBox has only one folder and this
> is
> the name of the new folder that they just created.
> This first folder creation wizard may also be a good
> place to insert two other entries:
>
> “i) Tell me about gray scale aging of email folders
> ii) Tell me about triage summary status line
> displayed
> underneath email folders”
>
> These entries of course are pretty much self
> explanatory and I won't go into this further.
>
> If the user selects option 2 in the right click menu
> given above, then a dialogue box could open up
> depicting the current folder tree structure and
> requesting the user to click the pre-exiting folder
> that the the sender is to be assigned to.
>
> Options 3 & 4 are the same as discussed in section
> B)

 below.

> B) IF THE SENDER’S ID IS ALREADY ASSIGNED TO A
> FOLDER
>
> If the user right clicks on a sender’s email address
> on the email list view of either the Email app or
> Dashboard app, and the sender is already assigned to
> an InBox folder, then the contextual menu  might
> include the following.
>
> 1) Re-assign this sender to a new folder
> 2) Re-assign this sender to another existing InBox
> folder
> 3) Automatically triage all incoming emails from
> this
> sender as Now status items
> 4) This is spam
>
> Again, selecting option 1 would launch a mini-wizard
> where the user is first requested to name the new
> folder, and the next window displays the currently
> existing InBox folder tree and requests the user to
> click where the new folder should be inserted within
> the tree.
>
> If after re-assigning all
 the emails from this
> sender
> to the new folder, there are no other emails left in
> the original folder, then the wizard should inform
> the
> user of this and advise them that the original
> folder
> will be deleted.
>
> If user selects option 2 in the right click menu
> then
> a window could open up displaying the existing InBox
> folder tree and requesting the user to click which
> of
> the existing folders the sender should now be
> assigned
> to.
>
> Again, if after moving all emails from this sender
> the recipient folder, there are no other emails left
> in the original folder then the wizard should inform
> the user of this and advise them that the original
> folder will be deleted.
>
> Option 3 in the right click menu is pretty much
> self-explanatory.
>
> Option 4 in the right click menu is
 also