[Design] Extreme Usability as a model for design/dev collaboration at OSAF

Mimi Yin mimi at osafoundation.org
Mon Aug 29 18:02:26 PDT 2005

I just recently posted a blog entry to the OSAF blog about my
experiences at the FLOSS Extreme Usability Sprint II in San Francisco
last week.

http://wp.osafoundation.org/2005/08/29/floss-extreme-usability-sprint-
ii/

At the risk of repeating myself, I thought I would bring this up on
the dev/design list to discuss  how we might apply some of these
techniques in-house, both for Chandler and Scooby.

In particular, who's interested in participating in Extreme Usability
exercises? Should it be mandatory for everyone working on the
product? mandatory for members of the Design team and the GUI
development team? or completely voluntary?

How ambitious can we be about how much work we can accomplish? Should
we focus on a single UI workflow or should we split off into separate
groups, each tackling a different problem?

How long can it be? Should it be a 2-hour activity, a whole afternoon
or even a whole day?

What kind of issues should we address? Conceptual content modeling
and UI structure issues? Workflow layout? Nitty-gritty interaction
design? Cut across all 3 with a single UI problem as the focus?

Mimi