[Design] presenting myself
bruno_longo at terra.com.br
Tue Aug 3 05:45:05 PDT 2004
I´ve just found about Chandler when searching for similar projects like this one I have (I call it "organiz'm"). In fact it isn´t yet a project, but only a pre-project (ie: only ideas of what and how it would try to achieve).
I think that for Chandler being in such ahead state of structure and being an open source project (which I´ve never joined one before, though I really enjoy the idea and support it), I´d try and see what´s really like to join a project like this.
Well, presenting myself first, I am Bruno Longo, from Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), just graduated in Industrial Design here and recently built up interest in programming (learning C/C++, Smalltalk, LISP...) and making more generic abstract design (ie: not too focused on whichever specific design it may be -- though I like focusing on usability, ergonomics and social backgrounds).
Then, about my project (and comparing to what I´ve already read about Chandler):
* it would not present any final solution app (like email programs) to the user, but would build a standard like input/output system which would translate the data with the main app and the end user apps.
* then, it would greatly focus on user input/output (including search) mainly about texts. the visual part (page styles, pure images and image/text pairs) would have it´s text counterpart.
* it would not have a calendary app, but a generic data management system, which could be a basis for 3rd party calendary apps. whichever in a text there was mention to a date, it would link to this system for the purposes of mantaining texts like "to-do lists" directly on the main app, if necessary.
* being based only in text, it would have a way to let it be outputed in several other ways (not only "notepad" like), including more visual presentings (like a "mind map" visual and so on). The important thing would be the translation of the main text to whatever output the user would want. The focus would be *letting* the user choose what mode of input would he want.
* the data could be exchanged and kept in online databases (which could be from a one user only or for a community or local group). this should let too the users update, for ex, their contacts whenever the other users update their info.
Well... that´s it. I hope some ideas may be of any use, and that I may be of help to the community (though I will need some help on how to get started here).
More information about the Design