[cosmo-dev] Does anybody know how to build cosmo so that it can be run from eclipse?

Maxim Solodovnik solomax666 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 19:30:10 PST 2009

Hello Jon,

Unfortunately i don't have eclipse right now. But may suggest your
ClassNotFoundException is caused by 7th bullet from Step 5
"7. Select *JVM Settings* from the left tree menu, add * tools.jar* to
Classpath.Then click *OK.*"
I was unable to configure bootstrap by the hand, so i would suggest not to
change it.
the only thing i change at this section is:
"Append JVM parameters" i have
-Xdebug
-D*log4j.configuration*=path_to_log4j_properties

also at 6th i have "Context files" selected under "Context declaration mode"

it seems to be instruction for an old sysdeo plugin: it has tomcat 3.3 ;))

and, if i'm not mistaken, you need to point tomcat plugin to jdk, not jre,
at step 6

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 23:14, Jon Steinhart <jsteinhart at neutralspace.com>wrote:

>  Hey thanks.  Would never have figured all of this out by myself.
>
> So I'm close here.  Did everything in the instructions, converting from the
> windows-ish instructions as needed.  When I run tomcat it barfs with a
> ClassNot FoundException in the findClass method of URLClassLoader.  Looks
> like "name" is "org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap.class".  Any clue as
> to what's going on here?  Is there some other mysterious configuration step
> that I missed?
>
> Jon
>
> Maxim Solodovnik wrote:
>
> Hello Jon,
>
> To set up and run cosmo under eclipse you need to do the following:
> 1) set up tomcat under eclipse (as described here for example
> http://www.it.uom.gr/teaching/distrubutedSite/platoAcadiau_ca/EclipseAndTomcatTutorial/index.htm
> )
> in short you need to install eclipse, tomcat and set up eclipse plugin from
> here http://www.eclipsetotale.com/tomcatPlugin.html
> 2) then you need to sync cosmo sources from here:
> http://svn.osafoundation.org/server/cosmo/trunk/cosmo
> 3) download and set up maven *maven*.apache.org
> 4) run command like this: "mvn clean compile war:inplace >make.log"
>
> 5) import existing project into eclipse (from the folder synced in 2)
> 6) make sure your chandler.xml at
> apache-tomcat-5.5.27\conf\Catalina\localhost\ contains the following context
> <Context
>     reloadable="true"
>     docBase="<path_from_2>\cosmo\src\main\webapp"
>     allowLinking="true"
>     >

> 7) run tomcat from eclipse
>
> hope this helps
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 09:37, Jon Steinhart <jsteinhart at neutralspace.com>wrote:
>
>> I'd really like to be able to run cosmo using the eclipse debugger but I
>> have no idea how to set that up.  Anybody out there done it that's
>> willing to share?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>    Jon
>>

> --