[cosmo-dev] Safari issues

Jeffrey Harris jeffrey at osafoundation.org
Wed Sep 17 15:54:31 PDT 2008

Hi Folks,

The notification UI changes I made recently rely on setting preferences.
  The existing code for setting a preference causes a HEAD of the
existing preference.  If that preference doesn't exist, it 404s.

When dojo does an XHR that 404s, it does a console.debug (at least in
version 1.1.1 that we're using) which causes Safari to error out, so the
XHR callback never gets called.

To make a long story short, dojo 1.1.1 + Safari don't work with
preference setting.

We could:

- ignore Safari + notifications for now
- patch the dojo build to do stripConsole: normal (this is what 1.2.0b2
does)
- use dojo 1.2.0b2

I'm a little leary of changing what version of dojo we use, since I'm
not really clear on testing.  But perhaps it's worth doing this?

Sincerely,
Jeffrey