[cosmo-dev] how to configure javascript debugger

Travis Vachon travis at osafoundation.org
Mon Jul 7 11:27:55 PDT 2008

Hi Vaibhav

The core Web UI developers all use Firebug when developing in Firefox.
As you've noticed, Firebug can be somewhat buggy, but with a few
tweaks it yields what is probably the most flexible debugging
environment currently available for a large application like ours.

Probably the biggest bug blocking current debugging workflows is this:

http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=695

Essentially, Firebug's algorithm for detecting eval statements is
pretty primitive, and isn't able to detect the main dojo.require eval,
leading to a useless debugger. This can be fixed by using an entirely
un-packaged codebase for debugging.

To do this, you should first head into $COSMO_ROOT/cosmo-js and run

mvn package;

Next, follow the instructions here:

http://chandlerproject.org/Developers/ChandlerServerJavascriptDev

finally, head into $COSMO_ROOT/cosmo/src/main/webapp/js and do:

mv dojo dojo-original;
ln -s ../../../../../cosmo-js/dojo-src/dojo

The next time you load the application you should have more luck
setting breakpoints.

Please feel free to ask more questions if you have trouble,

Travis