[cosmo-dev] Data importation into the Derby database from text files

Randy Letness randy at osafoundation.org
Tue Jan 29 21:00:43 PST 2008

Hi Christine,

Are you talking about importing data from text files into Chandler
Server?  Or are you talking about the general problem of parsing a text
file and updating a Derby database?  If you want to get data into
Chandler Server, you can use one of the supported protocols: caldav,
atom, or morse code.  Details of these protocols can be found at:

http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/CosmoCaldav
http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/CosmoFeedServiceSpec
http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/CosmoMorseCode

You would write an external program that processes the text files and
talks to a Chandler Server using a supported protocol.  You could add
the data to an existing collection or create a new one.  If you are
using Java, you could use a caldav client such as caldav4j
(http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/CalDAV4jHome), but you aren't
restricted to a language, just as long as you speak the protocol.

Currently there isn't an easy way to have the server do the parsing
work, although I could imagine adding a servlet that when accessed, does
the parsing work and uses the service apis to add data to a collection.

-Randy