[cosmo-dev] Projections in Atom links

Travis Vachon travis at osafoundation.org
Mon Jan 7 10:51:30 PST 2008

> ideally the client wouldn't need to be coded to stuff projection
> identifiers onto canonical URLs. probably we should include links in
> canonical feed and entry documents to URLs for each projection.

Yep, this would work too, at the expense of passing around information
that frequently won't be needed, and not scaling particularly well as
we add more projections.

That said, I think it would be simpler (and more RESTful: http://www.peej.co.uk/articles/hypermedia-as-the-engine-of-application-state.html)
  for now on the client and server side to do what you suggest and
reconsider in the future if a) we add lots more projections or b) we
find the extra information in the protocol unacceptable.

I don't think it would be a terrible compromise to leave the work of
adding projections to urls entirely to the client, but I'm all for
keeping url construction simple (that is, entirely server side) for now.

I'll comment on and expand bug 11613 to include this work, thanks!

-Travis