[cosmo-dev] a new year, same problem

Brian Moseley bcm at osafoundation.org
Fri Jan 4 11:09:25 PST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 9:44 AM, Randy Letness <randy at osafoundation.org> wrote:
> I thought maybe a the new year would result in the "items in multiple
> collections" problem disappearing, and well I guess it didn't happen.
> So back to reality.  I've started another wiki page on the idea of
> "compartmentalization", that is, representing items in multiple
> collections as copies of the item in each collection:
>
> http://chandlerproject.org/Journal/CosmoC18NNotes

I'm generally in favor of this, as long as we can agree on an approach
for the web UI conflict problem. I'd like to hear what the UI guys
think about the idea.

assorted thoughts:

* how about calling it "collection-scoped uid" or "cuid" rather than
"client uid"? it won't always be assigned by or known to the client
(for example, CalDAV clients and GreaseDoggy)

* this lets us go back to more descriptive/meaningful/"cool" URLs,
which I know lots of people would like. the following URLs might all
address the same item:

   o /atom/item/{uuid}
   o /atom/{user}/collection/{collection uuid}/cuid/{cuid}
   o /atom/{user}/collection/{collection uuid}/name/{sanitized display name}